Thursday, November 5, 2009

Error: ‘The client has been disconnected from the server. Please call ManagementGroup.Reconnect() to reestablish the connection.’

Got above mentioned error when I tried to connect my OpsMgr Console to an OpsMgr R2 environment which I hadn’t seen for a while. This screen was shown:
image

So some troubleshooting was needed. This is what I did:

  1. Checked the availability of SDK service: Yes it was up & running
  2. Checked whether SDK could be connected over the LAN: Yes, no issues there
  3. Dumped the local cache of the Console (using /ClearCache switch)
  4. Cleared DNS cache on the client
  5. Started the Console on the RMS: no problems what so ever.

But still on the client the Console didn’t want to start. Same error, same screen.

Hmm. Wait! What about the time skew of Kerberos (> 5 minutes and it is over)? So I checked the time on the client and the server. Yes. They were out of sync and more than 5 minutes. After having adjusted that, all was well again and I could connect to the RMS again.

So whenever you experience the same issue follow the above mentioned steps and last, but not least check to see whether a time skew is the culprit.

6 comments:

Jorakae said...

This was a valuable post. I've gotten this same message trying to figure it out and you nailed it first time. As soon as I changed the time on the client it fired right up. Thanks for your post!

Lynne Taggart said...

I ran into the same issue a while ago and although I ran through these steps, it turned out that I was in fault. I removed some Management packs, and it turned out that one or more was part of the default management pack. Once I re-imported the default MP, my error was gone.

yingying said...

This works! Thank you!!~

I installed the console at workgroup server but it prompt this long error message, was thought it doesn't work for workgroup server.

Thanks for your post. It works after i sync the time for the workgroup server :)

yingying said...

This works! Thank you!!~

I installed the console at workgroup server but it prompt this long error message, was thought it doesn't work for workgroup server.

Thanks for your post. It works after i sync the time for the workgroup server :)

Jonathan said...

Time skew - man o man, how this is a problem in long running lab environments that aren't managed well, like mine. Keep this post up! Thanks!

nikhil said...

Great post, thanks for sharing, it fixed my issue as well.